Oct 30, 2011

Post Interview Thoughts

In an earlier post, I wrote that I've landed an interview with a property fund. Actually, that statement is incorrect. To be more accurate, it's actually with the direct property division of a fund. How it works is that investors typically want real estate exposure on their portfolios. Real estate is traditionally favoured for its steady capital appreciation as well as it being a hedge against inflation. Investors can invest in real estate either directly through the purchase of brick-and-mortar developments, or indirectly through property stocks, or funds with exposure to property.

Anyways the interview with the investment management company was at one of the intimidating office blocks along Shenton Way. Despite having worked at one before (SGX Centre), I still feel mighty awed when I step into the swanky lobby of a towering block, seeing impeccably dressed people whispering in crisp undertones. To these people, I must appear so insignificant. 

I've participated in so many competitions until I no longer feel nervous even with many eyes on me. But interviews are a whole different ball game! I had butterflies in the stomach in the days leading up to the meeting. Among other things, I diligently memorized their company values, read up on the backgrounds of the key people and rehearsed the nuts and bolts of financial modelling, all done in anticipation of the questions they would potentially throw my way. It was like preparing for an exam! The only difference being this one has rather immense repercussions.


On the day of the interview, I didn't take breakfast or lunch. I just couldn't put any food into my mouth. Feeling jittery, I arrived at the venue a full one hour earlier. I spent that interim period loitering in the lobby (attracting the stares of the hawkish security guards in the process) and twiddling with my tie. Let's just say that I can do a full bodied dyno with the entire Marina Square watching, but I hem and haw at the prospect of some industry veteran passing their subjective judgment on my future.

I can do this with a huge crowd watching but I can't perform at interviews?! Come on Jansen.. Skill transferability!
*Thank you Gerry for the video!

After a while, I guess the security guard finally felt she had to do something to earn her keep. She strode up to me, looked down at my scrawny frame and muttered in an authoritative voice, "Sir!? What are you here for?". Perhaps I look like a terrorist to her, and I don't blame her for it, given my pale lips and oversized (and chalky to boot) The North Face bag. I mumbled an almost inaudible response, "I'm here for a job interview with XXX on XXX floor". I take it that she was sufficiently satisfied with my reply, because she ambled away to continue with her duties, leaving me to my own (increasingly frenzied) devices.

Minutes passed, and the second hand on my watch struck 2. I looked at my watch fondly, recalling how it came into my possession. It was a gift to me from my aunt. Not used to buying material items for myself, I always greatly treasure the pragmatic gifts from people close to me. If I must do well at all, it is to repay the faith that such people have in me. The time has come for me to man up! As I was walking to the high speed elevator, who should chance upon me but the security guard from earlier! Her perennial frown eased into a smile, and she exclaimed, with a thumbs up no less, "Boy arh! Very handsome! Sure get the job one!" Heh.. A smattering of Singlish.. wholly inappropriate to use in an interview, but so heartwarming when used in such social settings! There and then, I promised myself that if I get the job, I'll buy her coffee.

So I entered the posh office of XXX. I left 1 hour later. I was so drained that I couldn't do anything for the entire day after that. I don't know if a 1hour interview should be taken as a good sign or a bad sign. I choose to be optimistic and opt for the former.. that the interviewer has taken an interest in me.. that my cover letter, cv and philosophies I verbalized was sufficient to warrant his second look. Fingers crossed that I'll be called up for Round 2!

4 comments:

  1. So dramatic! It's so unlike you to be all jittery like that for an interview. Be natural, be professional. Then everything else flows naturally if you have the substance, which you do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jac! Btw, you heap praise more lavishly on me than the only woman in my life - my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww.. ive been to many interviews for various things. but job interviews really are the scariest. especially when you really want it badly and its not the "go-and-see-how" kinda interview. really cold sweat sitting there in the hot seat answering all those questions. i think mine was only 30 mins. but was super drained after that. lol. must go sit down and stone for awhile before doing anything else. haha. (i didnt accept the offer after that though.. haha. change in plans somehow. :p)

    anyways, hope u get round 2! :) show them whose boss? hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah! Accepted but rejected the offer! I wish I was capable enough to be able to pick and choose between offers..

    Yeah hope I get to round 2, but hope is slowly sliding away with each passing day. I don't know if I can show them who's boss, but I'm sure I can show them who's INTERN KO! Haha.

    ReplyDelete